is a prepaid carrier operating on T-Mobile’s network that sells its plans in multi-month bundles so you can save money. You can buy three, six, or 12 months at a time. Dreams come in 4GB, 10GB, 15GB, or even unlimited and include 5G. If you decide to try out Mint Mobile, porting your number from another carrier is pretty painless and straightforward.
Products used in this guide
- Unlimited calls, texts, and 4GB: Mint Mobile ($45 for three months at Mint Mobile)
- Unlocked with LTE and 5G: 5G ($790 at Amazon)
Bring your number to Mint
Before starting the porting process, it’s important to note that your phone number must remain active on your previous carrier throughout the process. If you cancel your old service before moving to Mint, you likely won’t be able to recover your phone number, not without going through a much more tedious process.
Once you’ve decided on a plan and received your Mint Mobile SIM card, starting the porting process is easy.
You will need a, such as the Galaxy S20 5G, and a Mint Mobile SIM card.
- Gather information from your current carrier, including your account number, PIN or password, and the ZIP code or billing address associated with the account. You’ll find your account number at the top of most paperwork, including and receipts. Still, if you’re unsure about any information, you should call your existing carrier’s line.
- Visit mintmobile.com and click Activate
of the page.
- You can also activate through the Mint .
- Enter your activation code. This is an 11 code that you’ll find on the back of your SIM card, above the “active by” date.
- Click Start or Resume your Activation.
- , select Port My Number when prompted.
- Enter the , and ZIP code or billing address associated with your previous carrier.
That’s it! Once you’re done, you can create a Mint Mobile account toof your plan, but the porting process should be out of your hands, and your number will change over automatically. Depending on various factors like your previous carrier, the transfer could be instant or take up to 48 hours — be patient. Transfers from a landline . Once the number transfer is complete, you’ll receive a welcome text from Mint confirming your Mint Mobile port number, and in most cases, your existing . From here, all that’s left is to enjoy your new service!